Jacob Appelbaum in Germany

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Wed Jan 8 09:40:01 PST 2014

 | In practice, it is pretty obvious that most practitioners of civil
 | disobedience believe they are above the law, that they usually *are*
 | above the law, and that in particular Swartz believed he was above the
 | law, and was shocked to find that he was not.
 |
 | There might be some sincere practitioners of civil disobedience, but
 | Swartz was not, and the big heroes of the civil disobedience brigade,
 | Ghandi and Thoreau, were not.

A long time ago, I spent a couple of weeks in jail for
trespass (occupation of the site where the Seabrook reactor
now stands).  Nearly everyone eventually pled not guilty
with a notable exception: every single Quaker pleaded guilty
on the grounds that in doing so and only in so doing did they
bear witness.

+1, in other words

--dan