Brag About Exploits, Go to Jail

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Wed Jan 8 06:15:51 PST 2014

> Snowden wanted to be identified, so it is alleged, and
> has been caught as intended.

I think the reasoning with Snowden was not so much to brag as to make
himself a hard-to-assassinate public figure. In his case, so few people
could have acquired the documents he did, that it was a matter of
(little) time before he was noticed to be conveniently absent as the
shit hit the fan.

If he wasn't in the public eye by that time, he'd have been disappeared
and/or shot in short order.

> Not to be overlooked: the essence of comsec and
> crypto is deception. So laugh at the open source ruse
> on the way to the pokey.

Funny that, I look at closed source as evidence of deception; without
deception, there is no reason to hide the source. As long as they keys
are secret, the protocol and code can be open, and should be if anyone's
to trust that they're A) beneficent and B) competent.

In the comparison of Cryptocat, which has tightened up radically because
of code audits enabled by Open Sourcing it, to Bittorrent Sync (which
used to advertise AES256 which was impossible with the keylength being
shared, now advertises AES128, nobody knows how they implement it but a
mistake like that screams "badly"), which is still unaudited snakeoil:
BTSync boast massive bandwidth usage implying a significant user uptake,
and moreso since the Snowden affair because of their snakeoil offering.
So the Open Source guy gets all the attention, audits and improvement,
while the closed source guys get no attention, no audits, and finally
notice internally that they're offering AES256 when they can't
physically accomplish it with the keylengths.

I'll take Open, thanks. At least I can see what's wrong if it errs.