hacker != cracker (Re: Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon)

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Tue Jan 7 14:02:50 PST 2014

Dnia wtorek, 7 stycznia 2014 16:30:35 demonfighter6 . pisze:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> > Seems like the original hackers lost that etymology battle however long
>
> ago.
>
> Yes, annoying though that may be to those of us who were called hackers
> before that became a bad thing. But we're outnumbered thousands-to-one, and
> we're just not going to win that language war.

Interestingly, in Poland we seem to be having some successes at getting our
positive "hacker" term back. There had been several mainstream media bits
(radio, papers) using the term correctly or even explaining the correct (i.e.
positive) meaning.

And I believe we need to fight for that term, as if we don't, we'll lose every
otehr term just like that. Consider "hacktivism" -- a new term and already
"stolen"/smeared.

We need our language and we should fight for it.

> ... Unless the technically adept were to bring the systems crashing down
> and let the technically inept freeze and starve to death.
>
> ... But that would be a Naughty Thing, and not something I'd ever condone.
> And just ignore the sig I've been using for over a decade.

Mheh. Keep calm and neca eos omnes? ;)

--
Pozdr
rysiek