Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Tue Jan 7 11:44:49 PST 2014

Dnia wtorek, 7 stycznia 2014 20:09:09 Cari Machet pisze:
> hmmn i see it as a hack and his other work was similar
>
> he was breaking the user agreement as worded by lawyer types > isnt that a
> hack?

Nope. One can be breaking a user agreement by being 13 and having a Twitter
account -- is that a hack?

> plus they were all scuuurrred he was going to leak the docs he
> downloaded so.... thats kind of a hack

"He was going to" != "he did".

> it was presumed becasue of past predictors of behavior that he would
> negotiate with JSTOR to change there ways which is umn
> super-neoliberal-capitalistic

I'm sorry, I am unfamiliar with the word "umn".

> is stealing a hack? - i think in general that the term hacking has
> expanded - i think he was hacking the system >>> maybe we disagree on
> the words expansion ???

Ah, "hacking the system" is what we all do, what the whole NoisySquare thing
was at 30C3, etc. Is that something evil? Is that something to be "killed"
for?

> heres some wordy words mayb u wld like to read re aarons work with others
>
> https://public.resource.org/crime

Well, I couldn't have put it better myself:

"Aaron didn’t break into JSTOR, he used a valid JSTOR guest account available
 on the MIT campus, which runs an open network. Had he downloaded 1 article
 every day for 4.8 million days, there would have been no problem. Had he
 downloaded 100 articles every day for 48,000 days, that would have been fine
 as well, nobody would have noticed. But he downloaded 4.8 million articles in
 100 days. Somewhere between 100 articles a day and 48,000 articles a day,
 Aaron crossed an invisible line."

> hope it is very cold in poland and you are incredibly unhappy > berlin is
> nice

Very warm here, increadibly warm I would say for this time of year. And no
snow whatsoever. I mean, we're at +8°C during day, -1°C at night. Say "hi" to
all your buddies from the States from me. ;)

--
Pozdr
rysiek