Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Jan 7 08:48:09 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 10:37:41AM -0500, Patrick Mylund Nielsen wrote:
>   James already proved himself a racist earlier in the discussion when he
>   mentioned that he could only find "a number of black felons who should
>   have been killed off long ago" while googling a person's name. "Black"
>   was, of course, completely irrelevant, but he nevertheless found it
>   important to add.

Yeah but my point was James (and multiple others) were ever thus, and yet if
you catch them focussed on something useful they are capable, even gifted
some of them.  A guy can say a bunch of things on political rambling, its
not like you'd expect political uniformity or political correctness, or
mellow, nuanced balanced views out of a bunch of crypto-anarchists: the
political side of this list could always be like a USENET flame fest at its
worst.  Flame-retardent underwear and 'n' button at the ready.  Read the
bits that interest you, skip the rest.  It just amuses me, there goes (some
person prone to such rants) again, on some pet topic or highly non-PC, or
offensive to sensitive ears diatribe, smirk, time to use the 'n' button
(next email).

If you dont like the noise, create some signal is another concept (and dont
fan the noise).

This kind of level of argument was however interspersed with some highly
interesting technical innovations like remailers, ecash, anonymity networks,
smart-contracts, pseudonymity theory and political implications thereof etc.

Sometimes I think the younger generation missed out on USENET flame wars as
a comparative baseline of signal/noise ratio and civilized discourse ;)

Adam