Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Jan 7 03:50:38 PST 2014

Dont worry about James hyperbole, he's just channeling Tim May who was one
of the three or four list co-founders, wrote the cyphernomicon [1], and had
a habit of using that phrase 'needed killing' now and then, as I recall as
phrase to express his distaste for someone's actions.  Its an expression,
not something literal... but James' black & white, non-PC, absolutist
personality precludes him saying that :)  You just have to read it with a
USENET flame war mentality and parse for what he's actually saying.

Apart from the refusal to bow to PC, James is actually a pretty smart guy
from what I recall.  He implemented some simplifed UX, ECC crypto email
stuff called 'crypto kong' [2] way back in 1997.

Cypherpunks write code & all that, gives James some brownie points.

About Aaron's case and suicide, it seems to me that Aaron miscalculated, and
the hacking was pretty escalated, engaged in multiple escalating
counter-measures when it was obvious the sysadmins were on to him as an
intruder, he didnt back off but took it to the next level including physical
intrusion & hiding equipment.  But MIT (and to a lesser extent JSTOR) let
him down badly as did some of his academic friends and its tragic that he
was a victim of some extremely over reaching imbalanced law the CFAA [3],
aggressively prosecuted by self-agrandizing politically motivated, and
almost legally immune deeply flawed US federal prosecution and plea bargain
system, which also saw Weev [4] put in jail over the most ridiculous and
egregious abuse of law (noticing a defect in AT&T web site and giving the
information to the media).  Yes Weev enjoys trolling, but thats an art-form
and since when has unpopular speech been illegal, freedom of speech means
unpopular speech too.  Aaron's earlier hacktivism was pretty spectacularly
successful in demonstrating the stupidity of charging for access to publicly
funded legal information, in a way that ultimatey they could find no legal
fault with, though the feds were not doubt pretty pissed that they couldnt
get him for anything.  But even the legal dox hacktivism stunt was very high
risk, the US legal system is hard to rely on, even when you are doing legal
but politically unpopular to things to a subset of the higher echelons of
office holder.  It seems to me that particularly in the US the
political/legal system tends to hold grudges and fail spectacularly at
balance and impartiality and legal independence from political influence.
Its better than Russia still, but its falling in world rankings of rule of
law and political indendence for sure.  There are probably some independent
rankings on this aspect of the government/jurisdiction comparison.

Adam

[1] http://www.cypherpunks.to/faq/cyphernomicron/cyphernomicon.html
[2] http://echeque.com/Kong/
[3] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act‎
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weev