[cryptography] To Protect and Infect Slides

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Jan 6 14:59:56 PST 2014

[snip]
> for controlling building systems -- HVAC, electrical, plumbing,
> ..
> are not. And few are TEMPEST-protected outside military
> and governmental facilities.
> ..
> In short, it is fairly easy to interdict and access building
> automation systems for implanting devices, injecting
> packets, tampering with OSes, siphoning networks,
> temporarily suspending security
[/snip]

I immediately thought, not of active injection of code/devices, but
passive reading of data as a surveillance mechanism. If HVAC was
advanced enough, for example, then you could use HVAC sensor data to
infer location of individuals within a large building by the changes in
airflow required to maintain temperature or humidity. Same for
electrical use if they use devices. Hell, if the system is shit-hot
enough, you might even be able to detect electrical fluctuations due to
capacitance induced by passing foot traffic.

Given that the NSA apparently don't like deploying code when passive
observation will suffice, might be a fruitful avenue of investigation if
anyone here knows their HVAC/other-hardware control systems..