Aaron Swartz, Jim Bell, Carl Johnson, Chelsea Manning, Edward Snowden

Luther Blissett lblissett at paranoici.org
Mon Jan 6 12:06:43 PST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-04 at 07:02 +1000, James A. Donald wrote:
> The difference is that Jim Bell never had delusions of grandeur, never
> intended to become a civil disobedience case.  Eric Snowdon never
> thought he was part of the ruling elite trampling over those no good
> contemptible peons.
>
> That Eric Snowdon covered his tracks and prepared his flight shows he
> truly intended civil disobedience.  He spoke truth to power.  He
> correctly saw himself as powerless, and those he took action against
> as powerful.
>
> The civil disobedience of the Aaron Schwartz is that of Greenpeace,
> that says "You must obey our laws, but we do not have to obey our own
> laws"
>
> Aaron thought he was the powerful, and was horrified to find he was
> not.  Bradley Manning was and is simply batshit insane.   Snowden,
> on the other hand, genuinely committed civil disobedience.

I'm a little unease with all these labels you use to portrait people.
Our paths in life are not in our complete control neither are our
conditions. These labels seem only to bring unfairness to their cases
and do not help ours. The things for which they became targets are more
important to us all than a moralized narrative of their public
characters.

Manning for me is far from insane. These kind of words I'd use to
describe some pompous pricks who could never understand Hans C.
Andersen.

--
010
001