Replacing corporate search engines with anonymous/decentralized search

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sun Jan 5 10:39:40 PST 2014

Dnia czwartek, 2 stycznia 2014 13:04:17 Sean Lynch pisze:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM, James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
> > As a matter of fact, it still does work.
>
> It works far less, though, since most people expect others to rely on
> search engines, so they don't bother to link anymore.
>
> Here's a thought: browser extension that stores your "personal" web index,
> and gives you a typeahead menu when you write about concepts in your index,
> prompting you to convert phrases to links. Like the way Facebook always
> wants to convert the names of people and pages to tags. Even if it were
> just primed with Wikipedia, that would drastically reduce the amount of
> Google searching people need to do when reading stuff you write.

In Firefox it's called "The Awesome Bar", and it sifts through your history
and bookmarks (I bookmark a lot, and tag these pretty exactly, which helps
immensely).

The downside, of course, is that it works only for links that I have already
visited.

So here's the idea: sharing bookmark tags and links with each other, via some
extention for example, and making "The Awesome Bar" (damn, I hate that name)
sift through bookmarks/tags of people in your "network" (what that means would
have to be defined, but as Mozilla Sync can already store bookmarks, the data
can already be on a server, just use it).

--
Pozdr
rysiek