Jacob Appelbaum in Germany

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Jan 3 12:44:40 PST 2014

On 2014-01-04 01:10, John Grubbs wrote:
 > Just who did he commit the crime against, both MIT and JSTOR wanted
 > prosecution dropped.

You are making his argument:  That he and people like him are the
important powerful people, and that the people whose activities he
disrupted, the people who spent a lot of time and energy figuring out
what was happening and locating his laptop, the people who keep the
world working, are the unimportant powerless people, who don't matter
and whose lives should be ignored.

You are wrong, and he was wrong.

 > In your example "your house" represents both MIT and JSTOR.

He was charged with breaking into someone else's network and
disrupting it, not with making JSTOR public.  "My house"
represents the buildings in which the network servers were
located, and the people operating that network.