Jacob Appelbaum in Germany

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Jan 3 11:30:23 PST 2014

On 2014-01-03 22:06, Ulex Europae wrote:
 > What I'm hearing from you is, the original malfeasance of putting
 > publicly-funded research data the taxpaying public has already
 > bought and paid for behind a paywall and extorting the taxpaying
 > public for access to that data does not warrant extraordinary
 > measures to liberate that data in the manner it should have been
 > liberated in the first place. That there were unintended
 > consequences of the exact method used to liberate that data is
 > secondary, perhaps it is even inconsequential to the real central
 > principle here.

If he had rate limited his download so as to not be disruptive,
probably would not have been detected, and would not have provoked the
people operating the network to go looking for him.

That he did not rate limit the download is an announcement "I am
powerful and have the correct political connections, and you do not",
which assessment turned out to be incorrect.