[cryptography] To Protect and Infect Slides

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Jan 2 10:37:24 PST 2014

Jeffrey Walton:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>> Kevin W. Wall:

>>> And you can find his actual prez here:
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA>
>>>
>>> Worth the hour, although I'm sure your blood
>>> pressure will go up a few points.
>>>

>> I'm also happy to answer questions in discussion form about the content
>> of the talk and so on. I believe we've now released quite a lot of
>> useful information that is deeply in the public interest.
>>
> It looks like some of your observations were unsettling to some folks
> at Cupertino: "Apple denies working with the NSA to compromise iPhone
> security", http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2013/12/31/apple-denies-working-with-the-nsa-to.html:
>
>     Today, Apple denied helping to create DROPOUT JEEP,
>     saying it had no knowledge of the exploit and remained
>     committed to its customer's safety.

Did anyone ever claim that they helped create DROPOUT JEEP?

> Par for the course I suppose... gotta love carefully crafted press releases.

I'm less interested in the payload than how it is deployed - are the
Apple signing keys only controlled by Apple? Do they fall under the
business records provision of the PATRIOT act? The QUANTUM documents do
not sound very good for ios users:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/nsa-dokumente-so-uebernimmt-der-geheimdienst-fremde-rechner-fotostrecke-105329-24.html

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/nsa-dokumente-so-uebernimmt-der-geheimdienst-fremde-rechner-fotostrecke-105329-25.html

All the best,