[Cryptography] The crypto behind the blackphone

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 20:34:29 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Jon Callas <jon at callas.org> wrote:
> My truest personal goal for Blackphone is read an Android hardening guide sometime in the future that will give a list of the things you should do to lock down your Android phone, and at the end it will say, "Or you could just buy a Blackphone." I want it to come out of the box the way that serious people like us on this list would want it.
> It will also have a set of software and services that people like us would like to have, which is part of the hardening, in my opinion.

How would this be any different than what the guardian (and
other phone SW projects) are developing, other than shipment
of a phone preloaded with your flavor of Android OS?
(And perhaps also offering IMEI/SIM cell service?)
As opposed to the user flashing Android-ROM-OS into any
compatible phone and choosing their service. Thus, save that
convenience, why?

This question shouldn't imply such products aren't needed.

Note some open phone HW projects are selling hardware
to which you apply your droid SW rom. Though we're likely
at least a handful of years away from seeing a genuinely
'open design' baseband HW layer in a phone, they are
talking about approaching it.