What more is there? [infil/exfil]

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Tue Jan 21 08:28:00 PST 2014

> He also trusted RSA enough to use it to encrypt communications with
> Greenwald and Poitris (sp?).

Not only that, after Schneier took a look at the files he alluded that
discrete-log crypto was a safer bet right now. So it looks like RSA
remains ironclad in terms of age and security. Also, if AES were
backdoored, I think we'd see waaay more panicked allusions to
state-secret-smashing revelations.

Besides, as has been argued many times; if you own the random number
generator, you own the RSA/AES ciphers anyway, and that's what the NSA
did. So yea, if you were using RSA-RSA, you're fucked because one of the
CSPRNGs was backdoored. But the RSA algorithm, going by Snowden's usage
and Schneier's interpretation of the documents, is still OK if properly
implemented.

> Very real possibility. Commercial tech is almost there. Assuming
> government is 3-5 years ahead, they might well have that. But I really
> don't see that as much of a threat.  It just saves analysts time.

Also permits more efficient storage for a backlog of dirt if they ever
decide they don't like you. So, it is a bit of a game-changer.

The NSA will never store raw audio of you being a total asshole if
you're not a target, even though it would be great material for
discrediting you someday if you get out of line. But they could easily
store plaintext transcripts.