CDRv2 discussion (was: Re: Al-qaeda.net deprecated)

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 19:30:48 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM, J.A. Terranson <measl at mfn.org> wrote:
>> - Some subset of nodes should commit to carrying all messages
>
> Thats going to be strictly up the node owners.

I mean ethically someone should do it. But unless a filtering
node agrees to forward messages filtered from its own list through
its backend and out to all the other nodes for them
to make their own choices, there will be holes... unless
a user cross posts. A node committed to carrying all
user posted messages should advertise itself as such.
Similarly for carrying all backend received messages.
carries posted: yes/no
carries backend: yes/no
despam mechanism [posted/backend]: describe here
moderation [posted/backend]: policy here
peers with: who

> From an administrative point of view, nntp is a *major* PITA.

Been there. I meant to carry one group called cypherpunks.
There are even private nntp clouds of their own groups existing in
the anon nets. NNTP use does not have to imply 'usenet' connection.

> maildirs for every user

No, just one for the list. But for that archive use rotated
mbox.7z is far better.

> then put up a box on a permanent connection

I do consider making an archive box.