[OT] Note to new-ish subscribers: you joined a mailing list, not a "group". (fwd)

Philip Shaw wahspilihp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 18:11:29 PST 2014

On 20 Jan 2014, at 21:38 , Cari Machet <carimachet at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI now they make laws that are retroactive to indict - i know of a case (or 5 actually) where the law was made to indict and convict 2 years after the "crime" yup ppl went to fed prison for years ... seems the breech of the rule of law by the US has come more out of the shadows

Do you have a citation for those cases? I’m not doubting you, but the legal sophistry to argue that an ex post facto law was constitutional despite the explicit prohibition would be interesting. I’ve heard of cases where higher penalties were applied than existed at the time (which IIRC is banned by the ECHR and possibly the CCPR, although is allowed in the USA and elsewhere), or where statutes of limitations were extended, but a blatant ex post facto law seems surprising.