independently assisting oversight of highly classified programs

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 08:05:26 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:33 AM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> i was wrong, and the POTUS angle by Executive Order 13526 implies
> he/she/$POTUS can clarify at will.
>
> seems there is a longer history of not just presidents but also
> congress leaking secrets.  does anyone know the specific instances
> covered in these texts?
> - Burn Before Reading, Stansfield Turner
> - The Deadly Bet, Walter LaFaber
> - Seeds of Terror, Gretchen Peters
> - Classified Information in "Obama's Wars", Jack Goldsmith, Lawfare
>

> also interesting that classifying non-government-generated information
> has not been tried in the courts;

Classification are internal handling rules. The gov can stamp top
secret on their copy of my private or public doc and do what they
want with it (subject possibly to my copyright/license/patent/etc
stamp, charges of theft/1stAmend etc to copy/take my copy,).
They don't have any purview over my copy, unless mine is
stolen, copied, etc where it might be a crime itself.
It's not been tried because it seems covered by the 1stAmend.
Ref also: Banned books lists, cypherpunks list, Cryptome, etc.
So besides the usual "we'd really like if you didn't publish that" and
co-op'd self-censor, has forced classification ever been done, links?

> the Sean P. Gorman incident not
> applicable as my understanding is that he received clearance and they
> built a SCIF on the university campus for him to finish studies and
> perform research in an official capacity for USGov.\

I don't think his work was gov funded and/or classified, and believe
it was cooperatively self-censored, with no known full release (JYA
would have been all over that if so, and was not party to the media
or quasi-gov  consultations/releases). The funding part would be
noted in the uncensored version of the papers, which also seem
hard to find... ie: where is the canonical distribution point?