[OT] Note to new-ish subscribers: you joined a mailing list, not a "group". (fwd)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Mon Jan 20 03:23:53 PST 2014

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> I was struggling with spamassassin and attemping to implement reject-

Duck S/A: learn to run a real mailserver: that's where the action is!

> -at-smtp time filtering, and reading about this 'hashcash' idea, several
> years ago and thinking maybe it would be nice if someone would *pay* me
> to read their email.
>
> We have lots of privacyscam hash-cash code running around these days,
> so what are the chances of just advertising you only accept mail that
> includes a *coin payment to the recipient?

Been examined at lenght, in detail, in the mid-90s.  Remember that things
have value even if they are not tied to a money system: cpu cycles have a
value which is relative to each user/cpu.  The idea of "charging" to read
mail (as an antispam system), by reshifting the costs of delivering spam
back to the sender through the tying up of the senders CPU cycles
("stamps") has been exhaustively examined. I would refer you to the
Archive, but im not certain that any meaningful (pre-2003ish) archives
still exist that would have all the mail from any 1 CDT, let alone all of
them...

> (Granted, it's low because most *coiners don't seem to understand what
> mail is given they can't even figure out how to install mailman, but
> the hope remains)

Don't fixate on coin (money).  A common antispam measure is tarpitting
(look it up), where known spammers are bogged down by resource depletion:
unfortunately, theres no way at this point to superimpose stamping across
the zillions of already installed SMTP systems (computers, printers,
appliances, etc.).

As you think about this, make sure you look both macroscopically as well
as microscopically.

//Alif

--
Those who make peaceful change impossible,
make violent revolution inevitable.

An American Spring is coming:
   one way or another.