Replacing corporate search engines with anonymous/decentralized search

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Fri Jan 17 10:55:33 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:

> Dnia czwartek, 2 stycznia 2014 13:04:17 Sean Lynch pisze:
> > On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM, James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com>
> wrote:
> > > As a matter of fact, it still does work.
> >
> > It works far less, though, since most people expect others to rely on
> > search engines, so they don't bother to link anymore.
> >
> > Here's a thought: browser extension that stores your "personal" web
> > and gives you a typeahead menu when you write about concepts in your
> > prompting you to convert phrases to links. Like the way Facebook always
> > wants to convert the names of people and pages to tags. Even if it were
> > just primed with Wikipedia, that would drastically reduce the amount of
> > Google searching people need to do when reading stuff you write.
>
> In Firefox it's called "The Awesome Bar", and it sifts through your history
> and bookmarks (I bookmark a lot, and tag these pretty exactly, which helps
> immensely).

I'm talking about anytime you type into text boxes. The goal of this
proposal was to return to the hypertextual nature of the web in order to
reduce our dependence on centralized indexes. However, I find your proposal
to improve the utility of the AwesomeBar interesting.

> The downside, of course, is that it works only for links that I have
> already
> visited.
>
> So here's the idea: sharing bookmark tags and links with each other, via
> some
> extention for example, and making "The Awesome Bar" (damn, I hate that
> name)
> sift through bookmarks/tags of people in your "network" (what that means
> would
> have to be defined, but as Mozilla Sync can already store bookmarks, the
> data
> can already be on a server, just use it).

An even simpler proposal: assuming the AwesomeBar doesn't already include
live bookmarks in its autocomplete functionality, add it. Then anyone can
simply publish their bookmarks via RSS and anyone else can import them.
Then someone can just add functionality to create live bookmarks that pull
signed and possibly encrypted (with Ed25519/Curve25519 of course) RSS feeds
from a DHT.