[p2p-hackers] The next gen P2P secure email solution

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 04:35:49 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 5:57 AM, Cathal Garvey
<cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me> wrote:
> Red herring-ish, but if you want to get your friends off Skype, don't
> wait for the golden solution. Pick something good-enough and use that.
> I've had moderate success migrating people to Jitsi. Similar ease of use

For any app really, ditto on success, especially if there's a windows port.
Various approaches usually work:
- "I need someone to test with"
- "This is what I use a) your thing doesn't work for me b) this is better or
 c) tough"
- Etc
If you're willing to put in the time to show people, they will use it.

> Back on topic, I'm not sure that it's possible to achieve low-latency
> and endpoint obfuscation for something that requires streaming like
> VoiP. Tor is already pushing the boundaries of low-latency mixing with
> an asynchronous protocol that doesn't *require* perfect synchrony, such
> as would be required of VoiP. So you might have to sacrifice obfuscation
> of *who* you're talking to in order to achieve security across the wire,
> or trust third parties such as VPNs or friend-to-friend connections
> (Retroshare model) to provide lots of bandwidth.

There are people reporting that voice over Tor hidden services
is at least barely to actually useable, there is a lot of variance
though. Streaming low bitrate music is no problem. Latency is
about a second, setup can be a few+ seconds. Again, variance rules.

Regarding attacks, low latency and bulk data streams present
different surfaces. It would be interesting to see an anonymous
network that fills the entire banwidth you allocate to your node
with chaff during the time in which you do not otherwise need it.
The anonbib probably has something to say about that.

The subject is regarding large scale P2P secure messaging,(email)
 not particularly the subthread of voice / general data transport..
I can see some advantage to using/modifying/merging ideas from
say Tor, cjdns and similar general transports for messaging.
Is there possibly a grand unification transport here?