anti-prosecution tactics. (Was Re:)

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 15:47:57 PST 2014

 development of thwarting the Clipper chip, imagining AP or (now) 'Sanjuro's 'AM',  designing Bitcoin, or about setting up a Silk Road-type website, or anything else that somebody might consider provocative.

All of the persons reading the CP list need to learn about the 1969 Supreme Court case, Brandenburg v. Ohio.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._ohio    Text of that case at:  http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/395/444/case.html      Talking about a crime, and even openly advocating its commission (with the exception of 'imminent lawless action') is generally considered protected by the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.  That said, I generally make it a rule not to "openly advocate the commission of a crime", mostly because government investigators and even prosecutors may not be aware of the rights described in the Brandenburg case:  Or, a prosecutor may PRETEND to not realize that such open advocacy is not, in itself, beyond 1st Amendment protection, at least not until he has already obtained a search warrant, investigators have planted evidence, made an arrest, etc.
But, over time, I believe that we (and all other citizens) should come to regularly use all the Constitutional protections we have, in part to ensure that some of us aren't victimized by using a seldom-used right.
          Jim Bell
For a comedic take on this theme, see:    http://reason.com/blog/2013/06/12/nsa-anti-surveillance-suggestion-operati
“Operation Everyone Talk Like a Terrorist All the Time”