[cryptography] The next gen P2P secure email solution

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 14:19:18 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 5:09 AM, danimoth <danimoth at cryptolab.net> wrote:
> On 24/12/13 at 04:20am, grarpamp wrote:
>> This thread pertains specifically to the use of P2P/DHT models
>> to replace traditional email as we know it today. There was
>> a former similarly named thread on this that diverged... from the
>> concept and challenge of P2P/DHT handling the transport and
>> lookups... back to more traditional models. This thread does not
>> care about those antique models, please do not take it there.
>
> A problem which could rise is the 'incentive' for peers to continuosly
> providing bandwidth and disk space to store messages. I'm a simple dude,
> with a mailflow of ~5 email per day. Why I should work for you, with
> your ~10000 mail per day for all your mailing list?
>
> Somewhere on this list (or p2p-hackers?) there was a post of mine,
> regardings an economic incentive between peers, which could be a
> solution, but as always technical problems arose, like pricing the
> services and a fair exchange between peers.

There may be advantage to the security of your own traffic if you
also handle the traffic of others.

Economically, it's probably not right to expect 'free' transport in
such a system. Though perhaps at minimum you should be
expected to provide benefit to the network an equivalent of what you
consume, including the extended cost to the net of your consumption.
ie: in a multi-hop network your impact is not just over your own interface.

And in an anonymous network it's most assuredly not right to
force users to pay using non-anonymous payment methods.
Though they may optionally do so if they wish.

How close is the research on these issues to being codeable
into actual p2p transports (whether anonymous (preferred) or not)?