[cryptography] To Protect and Infect Slides

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 8 14:49:01 PST 2014

Thanks. We posted the Wassenaar changes on Cryptome
on December 19.

http://cryptome.org/2013/12/wassenaar-intrusion.htm

http://cryptome.org/2013/12/wassenaar-list-13-1204.pdf

The intrusion software has received some but not sufficient
attention. And beyond the sections you cite there are many
covering other technologies which interrelate and affect crypto.
Those have received even less attention, at least in crypto
world as far as we have seen.

The means to transceive crypto continue to be its Achilles
heel and appear headed toward crippling the whole body -- the
bubble in which crypto exists precariously dependent on
sophisticated support systems which, as seen in the Snowden
minimal releases, have overwhelmed public crypto security, not
least by leaving the impression public crypto was highly effective.

More attention to the support system presumably will be given
as the Snowden releases recommence, now dead stopped.
Greenwald claimed recently  that cryptographers and other
techies are now reviewing the material, much of which is
beyond the capabilities of journalists, lawyers and politicians.

The stumbling block of comprehensive Snowden disclosures
is that to do so, allegedly, could severely damage national security.
Uh oh, that terrible aroma of complicity to protect secrets
too dangerous for the public to know. Instead a few select experts
are allowed to perfomr dual-hat assessments. Which is what has led
to the current imbroglio of public and expert distrust: who watches
the dual-hat experts who operate under the cloak of secrecy.