[cryptography] To Protect and Infect Slides

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Wed Jan 8 13:25:05 PST 2014

Dnia środa, 8 stycznia 2014 12:45:55 dan at geer.org pisze:
>  > 5) another realization upon hearing the 30c3 talk of Jacob Appelbaum
>  > was the 'earth firewall' then indicates that the NSA controls the
>  > internet,
>  > and that it is not operating as a subset within it, and instead
>  > everything
>  > that occurs is within its domain....
>
> The Internet is not controlled, i.e., there is a power vacuum
> that will soon be filled.  There are many, many players and soon
> to be more.  The question to be contemplated, if any, is this:
> Do you prefer that the competing claims of control over the
> Internet be resolved by way of (1) dramatic Balkanization or
> by way of (2) making the Internet an organ of world government?

And the answer to the above is: no.

I'll elaborate (Capt. Obvious, but whatever). The possibilities and
technologies of connecting and communicating had made such strides during the
last 20 years, that we really do not have to limit ourselves to these two
suboptimal (to say the least) situations. We can have a decentralized and non-
controllable network if we want to, and it can piggy-back on or run within any
network that is controlled by the government (not sure about balkanized
networks but I guess that would also be doable to some extent).

Just use the current "Internet" just as Internet used the telephone system, as
infrastructure. The infrastructure was controlled by the government and big
telcos -- meh, whatever, we just layered a better network on top.

The other way -- and a great one, but a bit harder -- is mesh networking on or
as close to the physical level as possible. Just look what these smart cheese-
lovers are doing:
http://ur1.ca/gdcy5

Think: "we can rebuild the decentralized network, we have the technology"
instead of "we're fucked".

> A thought experiment, if needing one: is VoIP a part of the
> Internet or is it not, that is do you have two networks in your
> home/office or one?

Why is it a question that needs answering?

--
Pozdr
rysiek