Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Jan 7 23:31:13 PST 2014

On 2014-01-08 06:02, Adam Back wrote:
 > I imagine its all out there on the wikis or interwebs, thats where I
 > read it, so here I am just repeating what was written about
 > extensively at the time.  From memory there was some escalation.  He
 > was detected, blocked, reacted (mac tumble etc) blocked again,

The reason Aaron Swartz was repeatedly detected and repeatedly blocked
was because of the crudity of his attack:(sequential downloads at
maximum  speed, disrupting JSTOR with excessive load)

Had he rate limited his downloads to avoid disrupting the network, and
hidden the sequential nature of his downloads through a random
permutation, he would have been fine.  No one competent to detect him
and block him would have cared enough to do so.

 > then proceed to enter presumably restricted areas, hide equipment to
 > bypass limits the admins had placed only on wifi users

Aaron Swartz entered the closet where the networks were all wired up
together, and wired his laptop to the network, in the process bringing
JSTOR services to MIT a sudden grinding halt and adversely affecting
JSTOR services to the rest of the world.