Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 23:25:30 PST 2014

From: James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com>

To: cypherpunks at cpunks.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

"James A. Donald"

On 2014-01-08 11:32, Juan Garofalo wrote:
>>     That is bullshit.

>That is the charges against Aaron Swartz.
>http://docs.jstor.org/summary.html

> If you want to attack Swartz you can do it without laughably trying to
> defend the 'physical property' of the mit mafia. Your defense being doubly
> weird since you're supposedly a libertarian?
>Libertarians are propertarians.

>Property rights are the boundaries between one man's plan and another
>man's plan.  If the ruling elite casually violate property rights, then,
>as with Obamacare, the result is chaos, which must be resolved by one
>plan imposed on all to restore order in order to avoid collapse. Terror
>follows in due course.  Should the terror ease, collapse follows.
>This has been explained by Mises and
 Hayek, and colorfully dramatized by
>Ayn Rand.

    It is interesting that Ayn Rand, in Atlas Shrugged, made a plot line out of "Rearden Metal", a mostly-copper alloy said to have been developed by Henry Reardon over a period of 10 years.  I was never a Randian ("Randroid"), realizing I was a libertarian before even having heard of Rand.  Occasionally I have met libertarians who don't like the idea of "intellectual property".  It is quite true that the large majority (80%?) of US patents should be labelled as 'patent noise': patents unworthy of being granted, mostly because they are obvious to persons skilled in the area of the invention.  But I think most people, including many libertarians, are of the opinion that  _worthy_ inventors should be rewarded somehow.  The current US plan (harmonized with European laws in early 1990's) of granting a 20-year monopoly seems okay by me.
    Full disclosure:  I am an inventor, having invented the "semiconductor disk" in the summer of 1980 (Google "SemiDisk")    see the "non-patent references" in  http://www.google.com/patents/US5602987,
(Google "Semidisk disk emulator")  and an infrared flashing device to turn red traffic lights to green traffic lights in 1990 (popularized by other manufacturers in the early 2000's), and most recently an isotope-modified optical fiber. See  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2013101261A1.html      I never attempted or intended to obtain a patent on the SemiDisk (I didn't think it was worthy of a patent:  It was 'obvious' to a person of ordinary skill in the area of computer-based electronics), nor my traffic-light changer.  In fact, in 1984 the Oregon Legislature made it illegal to possess or use a traffic light changer, and by early 2000's the Federal government made sales or use of such a device illegal.  See 18 U.S.C. 39.  http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/39
    Of course, my 'Assassination Politics' essay may ultimately be considered my most important 'invention', although I did not fully describe how it would be implemented.  (I knew in 1995 that the invention of some form of digital cash would be necessary, and Bitcoin partly fills that bill, especially anonymized with Zerocoin;  and the TOR network has made a major advance in implementing that idea. http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/11/18/meet-the-assassination-market-creator-whos-crowdfunding-murder-with-bitcoins/    )
    And, while I was unaware of Tim May's 'anonymous assassination contracts' ('abhorrent markets') at the time I wrote the first part of the AP essay, I must give him credit for thinking of that concept.  (In 1995, my only knowledge of 'Tim May' was that he had been a famous Intel employee in Santa Clara California, at the time I was a highly NON-famous Intel employee in Aloha Oregon.  (Summer of 1980 to the first week of 1982).
        Jim Bell