Swartz, Weev & radical libertarian lexicon (Re: Jacob Appelbaum in Germany - Aaron Swartz)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Jan 7 16:29:45 PST 2014

On 2014-01-08 07:53, rysiek wrote:
 > Wait, what? Where the hell did you get *that* bullshit. MIT network
 > was just fine, the pissed people were at JSTOR, and they were pissed
 > not because "the network was brought down to its knees", but because
 > somebody was getting a lot of articles "without paying".

http://docs.jstor.org/summary.html

"On Saturday, October 9, we again detected rapid downloading, this
time at an even faster rate. The downloading overloaded several
servers, disrupting access to JSTOR for users beyond MIT."

What led to his arrest was that he physically entered the building,
and physically entered the closet where their network was connected
up, and physically messed with their network wiring to attach his
laptop http://cryptome.org/2013/01/swartz/mit-closet-swartz.htm

Burglary and physical damage.

Which physical damage led to network dysfunction.

Tracing the network failure, the sysadmins found his alterations to
their network, and left the laptop where it was, placing a camera near
the closet to detect the criminal's return to pick up the laptop.

In due course, Aaron Schwarz shows up on video picking up his laptop.

The sysadmins never displayed much interest in the fact that
he had earlier illegally downloaded huge numbers of articles.  They
got pissed, and he got charged, for entering the building and messing
with their wiring.

If he had kept his downloads non disruptive by limiting the download
rate, by being furtive as Edward Snowden was furtive, no one would
have bothered - and proof of this is that they did not bother.

He wanted to smack their faces with the fact that he was ruling class
and they were mere minions, that the laws of the ruling class are
for the little people, not for members of the ruling class.