[cryptography] To Protect and Infect Slides

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Jan 6 14:48:48 PST 2014

> How would you monitor, maintain & troubleshoot administration & security
> issues on your servers if you do not have logs? Or are you talking about
> retention of said logs?

I read from this that excessive logging outside of a debugging scenario,
coupled with either bad security or wilful sharing of log files, is the
culprit.

So you're running a server, you want logs. Fine; what do you need to
know? Statistical information about access, but not necessarily *who* is
accessing. Perhaps you need to see if one person is accessing more than
their share, but unless they exceed a certain threshold you don't want
to record who they are; hash the IPs with a salt. Sure, yes, I expect
you can reverse IP hashes, but at least you're trying.

Point being that logs are for debug and performance monitoring, but in
this era of A) spying without consent and B) wilful assistance of spies
by sysadmins globally, to be a good guy you have to wear blinders and
collect only what you need. To resist the urge to hoard that comes with
being raised in a marketing-heavy capitalism and with seeing storage
volumes growing exponentially and remembering your days of scrimping on
poorly encoded mp3s. Store what you need. Ditch the rest before it's
even paged.