Jacob Appelbaum in Germany

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Jan 4 15:36:44 PST 2014

On 2014-01-05 08:44, Juan Garofalo wrote:
> 	1) that he wasn't striking at intellectual property is your (false) side
> of the story.
 >

> 	2) the physical property of the state and its accomplices isn't legitimate
> property, or rather, it isn't *their* property.

That
Aaron Schwarz repeatedly drew attention to himself by recklessly
disrupting the network shows he thought of himself as the state, and
those who he harmed as not the state.  Much as Henry Louis Gates
obviously considered himself the state, and a mere policeman as not the
state.

Snowden knew he risked punishment for civil disobedience, and so made
his activities as normal as possible, as unobtrusive as possible. Aaron
Schwarz did not know, and was so horrified to discover he was not part
of the powerful that he followed in the footsteps of his hero Wallace
and killed himself.

Plus, just look at the smirk on his face.  That says "I am powerful and
protected, and those I have just harmed are not."