Fwd: Fw: Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to screw you

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 16:34:58 PST 2014

From: brian carroll <electromagnetize at gmail.com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From: CJ Knight <nulldev at hush.com>
>Date: Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM
>Subject: Re: Fw: Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to screw you
>To: brian carroll <electromagnetize at gmail.com>
>Hi Brian, and happy new year. Thanks for another thought provoking post.
>A few things you might not be aware of happening over here in Europe,
>specifically the UK:
>We have ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras in place on
>every motorway junction, plus all major roads. They aren't advertised,
>they look like plain grey boxes, but people are slowly catching on to
>what they do, and how much they see. A journey from one end of the
>country to the other can be tracked in real time.

About 17 years ago I first learned about "3M louvered film"  http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/AutomotiveDisplay/Solutions/Products/ReflectionControlFilms/ , an extruded sheet product with tiny "louvers" of black plastic, separating clear plastic blocks.  The purpose of this product was to block light passing through at a greater-than-desired angle. (the limiting angle can be varied by buying different models of material.)  If a sheet was placed over a license plate, with the 'louvers' horizontal, the plate cannot be read if the camera is viewing the scene at a too-high elevation.  (alternatively, or in addition, a second sheet of vertical louvers can be placed in front or back of the horizontal louvers, which would prevent the plate from being read from a camera at a too-high azimuth:   the an angle, on the horizontal plane, from the side of the road).
       Jim Bell

"jim btc tipjar"      1AzNPQ1NhiD9uG1hU5g5Kdaccb88Dus2Bo