Jacob Appelbaum in Germany

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 1 08:35:21 PST 2014

On 2014-01-01, 00:00, James A. Donald wrote:
> On 2014-01-01 07:52, Juan Garofalo wrote:
>> What is a sincere practitioner of civil disobedience?
>
> Someone who expects to suffer for his beliefs, and is willing to do
> so is a sincere practitioner of civil disobedience.
>
> [...]
>
> In practice, 99% of civil disobedience is Pussy Riot tearing down
> someone else's crucifix on someone else's property.  The message is
> "You have to obey our laws, but we do not have to obey even our own
> laws".

I know what you want to say (I think), but I believe that you are
incorrectly referring to such people as "Pussy Riot". The three
incarcerated Pussy Riot members have had immensely harsh sentences. They
called the Putin amnesty that set them free a "PR gag" and convinced at
least me that they were serious when they said that they would have
preferred to serve their sentences until the last day.

Sounds like people "who expect to suffer for their beliefs, and are
willing to do so" to me.

Fun,

Stephan

PS: If I recall (but I haven't checked), the incident in question was
singing an anti-Putin song in a church, not "tearing down someone else's
crucifix on someone else's property", for which they were convicted of
"rowdyism".