independently assisting oversight of highly classified programs

coderman coderman@gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 16:30:15 PST 2014

per the Schneier brief with congress[0]:
"""
... Lofgren asked me to brief her and a few Representatives on the
NSA. She said that the NSA wasn't forthcoming about their activities,
and they wanted me -- as someone with access to the Snowden documents
-- to explain to them what the NSA was doing...

I suggested that we hold this meeting in a SCIF, because [...] top
secret documents [...]

The problem is that I, as someone without a clearance, would not be
allowed into the SCIF. So we had to have the meeting in a regular
room.

EDITED TO ADD: This really was an extraordinary thing.
"""

Wyden has an aide whose primary efforts and expertise revolve around
the classification of national security programs, funding, and
information.[1]

however this person is dedicated to keeping Wyden within bounds as far
as what he publicly discusses.

consider the opposite end of the spectrum: anonymous supporters and
sources who are able to analyze and disseminate specifics of these
programs deemed priorities by hamstrung and handbound public servants.
 how would you prioritize the efforts of such an ad-hoc group?
(presumably the intent would be legislative and monetary impact,
rather than advertising revenue via popularity, which may vary scope
and focus a little or a lot...)

would the ability to extensively and widely reverse engineer
intelligence agency efforts significantly alter the position of
various legislators with regards to these programs? (or are the
details insufficient to alter already concrete and lucrative
positions?)

this is particularly relevant given the Obama pass to congress with
respect to intelligence agency oversight and program limits[2].

best regards,

0. "Today I Briefed Congress on the NSA"
   https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/01/today_i_briefed.html

1. sorry, i can't find this off hand; there was a rolling stone or
other profile done which discussed this person from beaverton/tigard
areaoutside Portland, OR metro.

2. "Remarks of President Barack Obama: Results of our Signals
Intelligence Review"
  http://cryptome.org/2014/01/obama-nsa-13-0117.htm