WebRTC for P2P [was Re: Replacing corporate search engines with anonymous/decentralized search]

coderman coderman@gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 22:27:24 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Jesse Taylor <jessetaylor84@riseup.net> wrote:
> What would make more sense, and would lead to much more rapid/widespread
> adoption, is to use protocols like WebSockets / WebRTC to facilitate P2P
> connectivity in the web browser, so that everything can be done via a simple
> browser plugin that can be installed by anyone with few clicks, and would
> then just allow people to use the browser search bar as usual....
>
> To help bootstrap the WebRTC nodes into the P2P network, and to deal with
> some of the instability inherent in P2P networks (i.e. by creating stable
> "super-peer" indexing nodes), I like cathalgarvey's suggestion of utilizing
> something like a Wordpress plugin that would use the same index/search
> standard as the WebRTC clients, but could additionally bootstrap the
> web-based clients.
> I've been looking around for some kind of WebRTC P2P search engine and
> haven't found anything yet ... maybe I've found a programming project for
> this summer :)

WebRTC sockets in browsers for P2P would be an interesting project;
this has been brought up here and there for various purposes, yet I
can't find many resources on this either.

interop is much better than when i last checked!
  http://www.webrtc.org/interop
and WebRTC is actually working in the browser i'm using:
  https://apprtc.webrtc.org

widespread use given a compelling use case is feasible, and a much
lower bar than third party application installs or Java apps require.

i would be interested in following your progress if you do start
coding on this...

best regards,