[cryptome] question

John Young jya@pipeline.com
Fri Jan 3 08:36:04 PST 2014

At 11:01 AM 1/3/2014, you wrote:
Friends,

Given the fact that Levison states:

 > This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without
 > congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would
 > _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a
 > company with physical ties to the United States.
 >
 > Sincerely,
 > Ladar Levison
 > Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC

>which normal website hoster friends here could recommend in which countries?

Iceland may be the only one, and that may be short-lived before
it is expropriated by open and/or secret undermining.

Or it is likely a honey pot like so many other dropboxes,
pastes, leak sites, privacy and FOI initiatives. Big business now
offering ways to avoid boogie-spies, aka "cybersecurity," by
govs, coms, edus, orgs, sec experts.

All other countries are more intrusive than the US, and all
are becoming even more intrusive thanks to the booming
industry of intrusive hardware, software, programs, staffing,
contracting, higher education, co-optation of comsec experts,
freedom of information organizations, religious institutions
and many others who are benefiting from data mining of
their supporters by selling information either directly or
through second and third parties, in many cases, those
sales are occurring by system administrators, temporary
employees and volunteers, informants, ex-employees
and volunteers,

Web sites, and mail lists, like this one, news outlets,
leak sites, conference organizers, educational institutions
and innumerable others are gathering and selling data as
fast as possible before legal restrictions are enacted.

These private spying entrepreneurs are fearful that the
crackdown on official spies will spill over into their opportunism,
their windfall, their golden goose of data exploitation.

Ubiquitous log files, ostensibly required for system
administration, are the gold mines which implicate every
sneak-thief operator of public, private, governmental, NGO,
commercial venues.