Gox

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Tue Feb 25 03:53:15 PST 2014

> The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hotwallet

Sort of implies that "cold wallet" meant "bot-controlled wallet that
could automatically refill 'hot-wallet'."

In other words, a second-layer hot-wallet.

Never assume malice for that which is equally explainable with stupidity.

On 25/02/14 03:35, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:
> MTGOX just started serving this:
> The requested page was not found on this server
>

> The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hotwallet
>
> what?
>

> Sorry but you do check your total balance every so often.
>
> I mean you do.
>

> "Injections in coin are most useful (enough to run the exchange) but some
> cash is also needed to not run a fractional reserve"
>
> This is actually really decent news. Running a fractional reserve would be
> very tolerable. It's interesting they mention turning off trade for a
> month, that's quite a lot. And it might just have started right now.
>

> 744,408 were stolen
> but they have a liability of 624,408 BTC
>
> Those numbers seem in the right order (if everything is kinda effed).
>

> "Coins for equity, coin donations, and cash injections to buy coins at the
> cheapMtGox price are some options among many."
>
> I think I could do with some equity. But I wonder if it'd be a good deal,
> given their distinct lack of Bitcoin (according to this document).
>

> "To avoid a bank run from customers, the daily amount of bitcoin and
> cashwithdrawals will be limited."
>
> Seems nobody got burned. Just for a while.
>

> Anyway. The question of how this happened is not really answered. "Poor
> Bitcoin accounting" is an understatement. Your hot wallet leaking is also
> not a very realistic thing, unless it was just a steady steal.
>
> How can someone steal all the money and not be detected (by anyone)?
>
> Can we somehow just revert the theft transactions? I'd at least like to
> know what happened to the coins. Who has them? Who goes to jail for it?
>

> This is a pretty strange way for all this to turn out if you ask me. I
> wonder who didn't get burned.

>> Alleged leaked doc from inside Mt. Gox:
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft
>>
>> Nasty lookin', especially that assets and liabilities page! Although I
> don't understand how the theft could affect their cold storage.
>>
>> Soooooo.. who got burned?

Please help support my crowdfunding campaign, IndieBB: Currently at
27.4% of funding goal, with 17 days left:
   http://igg.me/at/yourfirstgmo/x/4252296
T: @onetruecathal, @IndieBBDNA
P: +3538763663185
W: http://indiebiotech.com