Cspace and Trilight software

Seth list at sysfu.com
Wed Dec 31 12:26:15 PST 2014

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 16:51:44 -0800, Seth <list at sysfu.com> wrote:
> "Things become "catastrophic" for the NSA at level five - when, for
> example, a subject uses a combination of Tor, another anonymization
> service, the instant messaging system CSpace and a system for Internet
> telephony (voice over IP) called ZRTP. This type of combination results
> in a "near-total loss/lack of insight to target communications,
> presence," the NSA document states.

John Gilmore dug up the Cspace software (see below), and I believe this is
the Trilight software/service mentioned in the NSA docs:
https://www.trilightzone.org/

To: cryptography[at]metzdowd.com, gnu[at]toad.com
Subject: "Catastrophic" for NSA: Tor+ Trilight Zone + Cspace + ZRTP on
Linux
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 21:50:36 -0800
From: John Gilmore <gnu[at]new.toad.com>

Nice to hear that there's some software that makes NSA go deaf, dumb
and blind.  Here is the Snowden release that mentions it (page 20):

   "Presentation from the SIGDEV Conference 2012 explaining which
encryption protocols and techniques can be attacked and which not"
   http://www.spiegel.de/media/media-35535.pdf

I found cspace (http://cspace.aabdalla.com/), which was a bit obscure
and hasn't seen any maintenance since 2009 or so.  Its dependency
ncrypt-0.6.4's source code is at Pypi and ncrypt-0.6.4 is in current
Ubuntu distros.

But I haven't yet found Trilight Zone.  Any clues?

And I haven't found a reliable, usable, simple, free software VoIP
client for Linux, let alone one that uses ZRTP.  Though I admit I gave
up on looking about a year ago when I couldn't get anything to
actually work.

         John