[Cryptography] A post-spy world

z9wahqvh z9wahqvh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 04:54:20 PDT 2014

since I find Mr Geer's commentary among the most interesting and informed
of all those on this list (very odd to even suspect him of trolling), I
investigated what you wrote, and here's what I found.

your own quotation notes that IQT says "our model is unique." "unique"
because they do not consider themselves a venture firm. that same paragraph
(read whole thing at https://www.iqt.org/about-iqt/) ends: "for each dollar
that IQT invests in a company, the venture capital community invests more
than nine dollars." clearly, IQT does not see itself as part of the VC
community.

the reasons for this look relatively straightforward: IQT is a
not-for-profit, and VC is built exclusively around making direct financial
profit from its investment. a not-for-profit VC is almost a contradiction
in terms, since "profit" and "venture" in this context mean almost the same
thing.

Practically, VCs have, as a rule, a hands-off if perhaps mentorly
relationship with their investments. that page makes clear that IQT gets
directly involved with their partner companies, probably including
technologists and technologies.

this list discusses matters of great detail and legal import frequently,
and precise accuracy in these matters strikes me as essential.

i am not endorsing what IQT does, or the correctness of Mr Geer's
statements, and I have no remote connection with any of the parties or
their services, but am very interested in the record being kept clear.