Update your Tors - Tor security advisory: "relay early" traffic confirmation attack

Juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:24:08 PDT 2014

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 11:13:10 +0200
rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:

> Dnia wtorek, 5 sierpnia 2014 20:31:26 Juan pisze:
> > On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 00:19:17 +0200
> >
> > rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > > One of the things I have learnt during the years of my brushing
> > > shoulders with Teh Gummint (public consultations, conferences,
> > > etc) is that a huge bureaucracy like a government is bound to have
> > > conflicting interests and fund/take conflicting actions.
> > >
> > > Governments are not homogeneous, to say the least.
> >
> > 	Governments are pretty homoneneous criminal organizations.
> > The fact that sometimes different government factions within a
> > 	given government quarrel a bit over the spoils is basically
> > 	meaningless, from the point of view of government victims at
> > 	least.
>
> Well, obviously you haven't much experience with how governments look
> from the inside.

	...but I do have some inside information about the 'legal
	system', having been raised by lawyers =P

> Ministries and departments have different and conflicting policies
> regarding some of their overlapping responsibilities, and the flow of
> information is a real problem. Add to that some personal animosities
> and ambitions and you get a clusterfuck of an organisation.

	Yes, all of that is true. I am aware of the fact that there are
	different factions inside a government. I did explicitly
	mention that. It doesn't affect my argument(s) though.

> A clusterfuck leaving quite a lot of space for projects like Tor.

	Sorry, but that's circular.

	You *assume* tor isn't designed as a tool to further imperial
	american policies and you arrive at the conclusion that there
	are some 'good guys' in the US government.

	Too bad your assumption is what you actually need to prove.

	The argument here is that tor is a small network that can be
	more or less easily 'traffic analyzed'  by the US government -
	the same government that created it. This is not 'rocket
	science'...