Update your Tors - Tor security advisory: "relay early" traffic confirmation attack

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Mon Aug 11 14:09:52 PDT 2014

Dnia poniedziaƂek, 11 sierpnia 2014 17:24:08 Juan pisze:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 11:13:10 +0200
>
> rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > Dnia wtorek, 5 sierpnia 2014 20:31:26 Juan pisze:

> > > 	Governments are pretty homoneneous criminal organizations.
> > >
> > > The fact that sometimes different government factions within a
> > >
> > > 	given government quarrel a bit over the spoils is basically
> > > 	meaningless, from the point of view of government victims at
> > > 	least.
> >
> > Well, obviously you haven't much experience with how governments look
> > from the inside.
>
> 	...but I do have some inside information about the 'legal
> 	system', having been raised by lawyers =P
>
> > Ministries and departments have different and conflicting policies
> > regarding some of their overlapping responsibilities, and the flow of
> > information is a real problem. Add to that some personal animosities
> > and ambitions and you get a clusterfuck of an organisation.
>
> 	Yes, all of that is true. I am aware of the fact that there are
> 	different factions inside a government. I did explicitly
> 	mention that. It doesn't affect my argument(s) though.
>
> > A clusterfuck leaving quite a lot of space for projects like Tor.
>
> 	Sorry, but that's circular.
>
> 	You *assume* tor isn't designed as a tool to further imperial
> 	american policies and you arrive at the conclusion that there
> 	are some 'good guys' in the US government.

No, I didn't say there are any "good guys" (nor that there aren't any, mind
you). But even between a clusterfuck of "bad guys", each dragging in their own
direction, simply *because* they are dragging all in different directions,
there might be space for some neat projects.

Think of it as a hack on the system.

Guy A needs total secrecy of communication for their moles in third world
countries and finances a tool that incidentally is a huge PITA for guy B, that
tries to surveil everything and everybody.

Guy A and guy B are far enough from each other
(system/hierarchy/department/competence-wise) that they do not co-operate, nor
even know of each other too well. Or: they know of each other and are in a
state of "cold war" for resources or ambition-related aims.

--
Pozdr
rysiek