[cryptography] Question About Best Practices for Personal File Encryption

Christopher Nielsen m4dh4tt3r@gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 14:21:53 PDT 2014

On Aug 15, 2014 11:06 PM, "Mark Thomas" <mark00thomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question for the group, if I may ask it here and in this manner
(?).

> What are you guys using to encrypt individual files and folders or even
entire drives like a USB?

> I am thinking that:
>
> 1. any commercial product could be compromised and not completely secure.
Like Appleā€™s FileVault2, which Apple has a key to.

The comment about Apple is simply false. Apple does not have a key to
FileVault2 unless you escrow your key with them. I know this because a dear
friend recently passed, and his family was not able to gain access to his
encrypted drives through Apple.

That said, FileVault2 is susceptible to offline dictionary attacks on the
password, or if you can get access while the drive is online, there are
attacks on the Keychain.

> 2. It is probably open source.

What makes you think open source will save you? All the eyeballs looking at
the code? That was proven a false sense of security when heartbleed was
announced.

> 3. It is probably implemented with the command line.
>
> Am I on the right track? If so does anyone know of a helpful guide to get
started with OpenSSL on the command line besides the man pages?