NSA good guys

Juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 10:01:52 PDT 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:09:36 -0400
dan at geer.org wrote:

>  | 	It may be possible, in the not-so-distant-future, to record
>  | 	people in ultra high definition from a mile away, but the
>  | 	'technology'  can be rendered rather useless with somthing
>  | 	like...this
> http://ramitia.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/japan-face-masks.jpg |
>

> At this time, it is possible to do facial recognition at 500 meters,
> iris recognition at 50 meters, and heartbeat recognition at 5 meters.
> A newspaper open on a table can be read from orbit.  DNA samples
> can be matched in under half a hour.  Your smartphone can identify
> your gait, your face in that selfie, the idiosyncracies of your
> typing, your fingerprint and/or anything else you wish to lay on
> the screen.  Light fixtures in public venues provide light but also
> house a camera, sensors for CO/CO2/pollutant emissions, seismic
> activity, humidity & UV radiation, a microphone, wifi and/or cellular
> interfaces, an extensible API, an IPv4 or v6 address per LED, a
> capacity for disconnected "decision making on the pole," and
> cloud-based remote management.  Every cow you eat is tracked cradle
> to grave with RFID tagging under the National Animal Identification
> System, the infrastructure for which handles 100 million cattle and
> works for any mammal, of which you are one.  Any newish car is
> broadcasting several Bluetooth beacons as is your newish iPhone.
> Forensics can now match photo to camera as crisply as matching
> bullet to barrel.  The Smart Meter soon to be imposed on your
> electric tap will know everything you own, and report.  More and
> more people you meet will be part of the system -- that wearables
> like Google Glass are so readily detectible is just a brief moment
> in time.  Cars are soon to be mandated to implement wireless
> vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle to infrastructure (V2I)
> communications using extensible protocols intended to include
> route-based payment now that too many people are driving green cars.
> Your various insurers will buy your data for a pittance of discount
> but will also know when, say, blood pressure for everyone in the
> house or the neighborhood rises together.  A wife may not be impelled
> to testify against a husband, but cannot her digital exhaust be
> subpoenaed to the same effect?
>

> But you know all that, paper hospital masks notwithstanding.

	Well, the scenario you paint is scary and looks a bit like
	science fiction. On one hand I do get your point. On the other
	hand I can't help but mention again that your
	iris-recognition-from-orbit can be defeated with $5 contact
	lenses. Other 'technologies' can certainly be more intrusive.

	>The Smart Meter soon to be imposed

	>Cars are soon to be mandated to implement

	Mandated by?...by jesus...or by the american government, which
	amounts to the same thing.

	Anyway, all this is of course a political problem and so it
	requires a political solution. A solution that government,
	which is the driving force behind the problem, isn't going to
	provide.