[cryptography] Geoff Stone, Obama's Review Group - Part 2

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 20:25:47 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:09 AM, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:
> The CIA is the principal customer of NSA products outside
> the military...
>
> CIA (long FBI opponents) thought FBI could not cope with inside
> terrorists, using 9/11 as an example, and advocated NSA involvement
> with its much greater technical capability, but more importantly, its
> military-privileged secrecy not susceptible to full congressional
> oversight, courts and FOIA.
>
> The joint CIA-NSA Special Collection Service (SCS) has
> been doing for decades what NSA is now alone accused of doing:
> CIA provided the targets, NSA did the technical collection from
> those global stations identified by xKeyscore (most in embassies
> or nearby).
>
> What is bizarre is how little CIA is mentioned in news furor about
> NSA, as if NSA did its work in isolation from the IC and without
> oversight of the 3 branches.

FBI DITU also playing front-man as of late, it seems.

FBI-DITU + NSA-SSO/TAO + CIA/NSA-SCS
 - this is a trifecta of fuckery!

they're a legislative laundry designed to circumvent any constraints
individually by collectively attaining ends via means so offensive
they must remain hidden lest "National Security and The Future of our
Nation" be at risk...

were i a new age "Citizens for Intelligence Community Oversight" i
would pwn all three, and dump the entirety of their operations to
darknet.  let the public sort it out...
  [exercise for the reader: would it take longer for the world to
digest an entire dump than it would the current Snowden-subset
processing via reporter privilege?]

> SCS also does burglaries, code snatches, decrypts, doc drops,
> stings, ploys, blackmail, the panoply of CIA operations. The increased
> civilian target panoply bestowed upon NSA came from CIA demands
> channeled through ODNI.
>
> Reviewing what little has been released of the Snowden documents
> they are quite similar to what SCS has been doing with the addition
> of the US as target. FISA had to be rejiggered for the US domain.

the use of foreign, military IC tools against domestic targets is
where many interesting stories lay.  you think yesterday's battlefield
exploits don't become today's domestic lawful access? epic lulz!
  what fucking tatters they've left our "Constitutional Rights"...
   [which should be afforded to all citizens of Eath, my over seas
peers fucked harder, longer, in no offensive a manner]

> NSA's recent attempt to slough off Cybercom and return to
> its military mission, has been rejected by the civilian overseers
> following CIA guidance and fear-mongering of civilians, especially
> those inside the US. The last thing CIA and its supporters want
> is a revelation of its manipulation of civilian leaders institutionalized
> by the 1947 National Security Act (also opposed by the military).

indeed.  IC suffering a deluge of undue oversight and sunlight.  are
you crazy POTUS, you want more potential visibility?  get tha fuck
back in yer hole, servant...