Geoff Stone, Obama's Review Group

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Fri Apr 4 01:49:31 PDT 2014

On 04/04/14 06:25, dan at geer.org wrote:
> I fear we are on the edge of a rat-hole here.  I forwarded Geoff's
> remarks as they are relevant, timely, and speak to the absence of
> simplistic nostrums in such matters, both because of the rising
> popular / political demand for comfort-and-safety and because the
> technologies that those charged with delivering comfort and safety
> use are COTS technologies.  And dual use.  Personally, I think of
> surveillance as just another tax, which you may safely assume is
> said through clenched libertarian cum Tea Party teeth.

Hi Dan,

I like your idea of comparing being spied upon to paying tax.

The similarities are striking:

Like tax, I prefer to pay the least amount.

Like tax, I can hire a professional that knows tax law inside out to
find the (legal) loopholes.

Like tax, it should be discussed in public.

Like tax, society should strive to minimize the tax-burden.

Like tax, we don't tax those to whom it doesn't apply.

Regards, Guido.