Geoff Stone, Obama's Review Group

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Apr 2 20:29:47 PDT 2014

That review does not really jive with the complaints from the people on the
intelligence oversight committee, the NSA leaders who explicitly lied to
congress, the complaint from the author of the patriot act that he thought
the NSA was breaking the law, and the subsequently released complaints from
the FISA court about illegal and non-credible abusive interpretations of
the law and the FISA courts instructions.  Also there were several reports
saying nothing of consequence was prevented by the entire program.

If you know him, maybe you want to ask him how he reconciles all these now
matter of public record conflicts with what he just said.

Of course he did leave wiggle room in the form of "[not] so clearly
unlawful that it would have been appropriate for the NSA to refuse to
fulfill its responsibilities." ie it was only somewhat illegal so hey thats
ok then?

Have to say it seems more plausible to me that they did a faux-forthright
job of answering questions from this new review process.  I mean what else
could they do?  Stonewall?

Adam