[tor-talk] [cryptography] The Heartbleed Bug is a serious vulnerability in OpenSSL

Cypher cypher at cpunk.us
Fri Apr 11 11:02:19 PDT 2014

On 04/11/2014 12:54 PM, rysiek wrote:
> Dnia piÄ…tek, 11 kwietnia 2014 10:04:38 The Doctor pisze:
>> The timing of the commit in question is most interesting,
>> indeed:
>>
>> http://git.openssl.org/gitweb/?p=openssl.git;a=commit;h=4817504d069b4c508216

1b02a22116ad75f822b1

>> ...the date and time of the year when people are least likely to
>> be sitting at their computers watching for and reviewing commits.
>> Only better time would probably have been at 2359 hours UTC.
>
> Now I love my conspiracy theories just like the next guy and I
> definitely do not take sides (I am myself quite inclined to think
> this is not entirely an honest mistake), but...
>
> ...the kind of argument you make rings a bell:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_bias
>
> I agree that this was the very best time for a commit so that
> nobody sees it/reviews it. Maybe this is why nobody has seen it nor
> reviewed it? As in, the very fact it is so does not prove that it
> was done at this time on purpose.

I agree that there is no proof that this bug was introduced on purpose
and it might be a simple oversight (no matter what it looks like or
could be). We have to keep in mind that one of the things spies do is
sow suspicion and doubt - it's a powerful weapon! All these
vulnerabilities we're finding in critical software /might just be/
mistakes and oversights. Or they might be deliberate attacks by the
NSA/GCHQ. Part of the power these agencies wield is that /we'll likely
never know/ and so we suspect...everyone. Everything.

Cypher

- --
Want to communicate with me privately?
Find my PGP public key here:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5BAEB5B2FA26826B

Fingerprint: 6728 40CE 35EE 0BF3 2E15 C7CC 5BAE B5B2 FA26 826B