[tor-talk] [cryptography] The Heartbleed Bug is a serious vulnerability in OpenSSL

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu Apr 10 03:34:00 PDT 2014

> More likely reality... opensource
> people are busy and good humans and coding mistakes happen.

Given that other likely backdoors were also concealed as "mistakes" in
normal commits, I wouldn't write it off. But the real villain here is
coding security-critical applications in C, when there are memory-safe,
more modern alternatives. The Heartbleed bug-door was a failed
memory-bounds check, but that's something more modern alternatives just
do automatically as a matter of course.

If I recall correctly, Rust was designed explicitly to be memory safe. D
is likewise memory safe, and is syntactically close enough to C that an
OpenSSL rewrite isn't out of the question.

--
T: @onetruecathal, @IndieBBDNA
P: +353876363185