Acoustic bugging of computers

jim bell jamesdbell9 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 01:16:13 PDT 2014

Well, I posted the article, but don't necessarily ratify the content.  However, I have never had much confidence in the RF (radio-frequency) security of computers.  That point was driven home to me in mid 1977, when I built a microprocessor-trainer board called a "Dyna Micro"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-board_computer       It was uncased, and I ran it near an AM/FM radio.  While listening to the AM band, away from an active station, it made numerous audio sounds as it went through the program of the keyboard scanner and programs that I entered.  It was obvious that information could be transfered by RF, although at the time I wasn't particularly concerned about the possibility.
In about 1983, I visited Washington DC, and attended some sort of military electronics convention (invited by a customer of my company, SemiDisk Systems, Inc) and I was introduced to the concept of "Tempest" shielding.
In the summer of 2002, while a guest at the "Gated Community" of USP Atwater, California, I worked for the Federal Prison Industries ("Unicor") tearing apart electronic hardware, mostly computer monitors.  I was the only person there, either prisoner or staff, who understood what the parts were which were on the boards.  Very rarely, a computer monitor came through which I recognized was a shielded, "Tempest"-grade monitor.
        Jim Bell