Geoff Stone, Obama's Review Group

Softy softservant at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 06:45:37 PDT 2014

> Have to say it seems more plausible to me that they did a faux-forthright
> job of answering questions from this new review process.  I mean what else
> could they do?  Stonewall?
>
> Adam

​I'll suggest a slightly different scenario.  One in which Stone is
presenting his honest opinion, and in which what he spoke is accurate.

I don't know much about him - I think I'm fairly safe in stating prior to
his Review panel he never went close to, let alone through, the Ft. Meade
perimeter onto NSA grounds.

Doing so is awe inspiring.  Not just with heady notions of which agency,
and its history, runs the building; but also seeing the scale of the
operations.  It's a visceral reminder of the power of the United States -
both of it's good and bad aspects.​

​So, I suggest Mr. Stone was overwhelmed and genuinely convinced of what he
saw: he wanted to see a behemoth of an organization full
of sun-glassed covert agents ​running amok.  Rather he saw slightly
shabbily dressed day workers interspersed with the occasional suit,
all surrounded by  uniformed members of the five military branches as well
as those of five other countries.

Second, I suggest the NSA ( and any other semi-/fully- covert agency ) can
easily "expose" all of its bookkeeping for review without exposing anything
it doesn't want exposed.  They don't need to be secretive - the nature of
the organization is so silo'd, looking in from any combination of
directions would never give any indication of a compartment unless one knew
where and how to request that compartment by name.

The result is the Review panel feels they came away with a complete
understanding of the Agency, and the individuals came away with a knew
understanding of what Power means, and how it is applied into the world.
 Some of that understanding is valid - some isn't.

Lastly, I think taking Mr. Stone's words as only about the NSA is a
mistake.  He was writing to, and about, the Agency employees. Namely,
suggesting to them they might do better in the future
to continually re-evaluate their bosses; rather than assuming "father knows
best."  And this is the best possible oversight - the tens of thousands of
employees are as American as anyone, they have it in their own best
interest not to tolerate abuses by their bosses.  Sadly that type of
oversight is insufficient, but that mindset within the majority of
employees is crucial and what I think Mr. Stone was trying to enrich.

go easy,

-daniel