Github Pages now supports SSL

Eric Mill eric@konklone.com
Fri Apr 4 11:08:46 PDT 2014

I know most of the people on here have transcended the earthbound, maudlin
Certificate Authority system, but as services-adopting-SSL-news goes, I'm
particular excited about Github
Pages<https://twitter.com/benbalter/status/444555263195217920>,
which started quietly supporting SSL for *.github.io domains a few weeks
back.

I'm excited because Github Pages is powerful, verrrrry flexible, and
totally free. AFAIK, it's the only major blog/web host that gives you free
SSL, backed by a high quality CDN (since everything is static files).

To promote the occasion and nudge Github to take it further, I wrote up my
own experience, and a little how-to for forcing redirects via Jekyll:

https://konklone.com/post/github-pages-now-supports-https-so-use-it

Along with Cloudflare's 2014 plan to offer SSL termination for free, and
their stated plan to double SSL on the Internet by end of year, the barrier
to HTTPS everywhere is dropping rapidly.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>