Fwd: [cryptography] The Compromised Internet

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Thu Sep 26 00:20:43 PDT 2013

2013/9/26 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>

>  It's really hard to jam the sky, especially in VIS range.

"Huh. Guys, what's that on our radio scanner? Someone calls us?"
Hard to jam, easy to trace. Even regular Dutch police forces have
triangulation tactics to find pirate radio stations.

This is where I'm more enthusiastic about near-optical connections. A
laser, invisible spectrum ofc, and a small black surface (iow:detector) are
all it takes. It will still be visible (at night) with special hardware.
Street lanterns (depending on the type) might make them invisible at night
too. Bandwidth is wonderful, and there's plenty of spectrum to duplicate
bandwidth too. Quite like fiber, except for the ideal transmission.

And that highlights the problems. You have to keep the laser pointed, that
means not diffracted by thermic differences or blocked by dust and other
particles (like, you know, leaves). This might be less trouble than it'd
seem at first, and even better it can be automated by a lens system.

A just graduated ship's lieutenant laughed at me for suggesting laser
communication as the future. "No spying, very high speed, very wide
bandwidth!" and he effectively answered "Line of sight, irreliable, no need
for speed and just use satellite".

A yagi pointed skywards should be hidable inside the house, so I guess he's
somewhat right.